The following link shows Hurricane Irene's current path, the current strength and has a drop-down menu that shows where alerts are directed at the current time.
The following link shows an interactive Hurricane Irene tracker map with forecast, updates, and what has happened already with the storm. This is a pretty cool tool to keep you updated on the current events around this storm and on another one brewing further out in the ocean.
Top developments, according to MSNBC, on Irene are as follows.
- Irene could still strengthen a bit; up to 15 inches of rain estimated on East Coast.
- Hundreds of thousands told to evacuate in N.C., Md. and N.J. counties.
- New York state joins N.C., Va., Md. and N.J. in declaring state of emergency.
- Forecast shifts track west, putting large cities closer to center of forecast "cone."
- Hurricane warning issued along all N.C. coast.
- NYC to decide tomorrow on whether to order evacuations.
This link shows you the current advisories from the National Weather Service on the topic of Hurricane Irene. This is one to keep a close eye on.
Here are some current headlines regarding the effects that Hurricane Irene is having/will be having on the population of the United States as she barrels through.