Ad

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thank you.

Thank you to everyone for the support and encouragement I've been given in the endeavor of running for Mayor, as well as my many volunteer efforts in our community and the elementary school.

Throughout the last couple of months I have been working closely with various people in the city offices and within the city government. Through those experiences I have had some interesting and revealing things happen to me and to others who have been volunteering around me. I guess I needed these things to happen to open my eyes to the reality of the way things work (or don't work) in our own city government and in other governments around the state and country. Those experience have been unfortunate but, I believe they have been necessary.

Those who know me know that I am the kind of person that sticks to her moral standards and practices what she preaches. I don't expect others to do something that I wouldn't do. I also expect that people treat each other with kindness and respect and show concern for and value other people.

Recently, as of March 16th, my husband was laid off from his employer. At that moment I had to make a decision. Should I continue to do my 5-8 hour days of volunteer work or should I work on getting our home in order and helping him get a job. The decision was a obvious one. I couldn't feel good about doing all of those volunteer hours when we need something that gives us an income to take care of our basic necessities.

Amazingly enough, during this same time I was receiving hate mail in the form of email from members of our own city government. This was in response to my steadfast encouragement to treat those volunteering for the city programs with respect. While the majority of the members of the government may be respectful, I learned first hand the reasons why there are problems and stepping away from the volunteer work was one of the best things I could do.

I've thought long and hard about my run for mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah. I'm not at all stuck on the glory of a title. The title of mayor wouldn't make the difference to the people. Those holding the titles in the government are not better than you and I just because they decided to run for an office and won. It's just a choice they've made.

I'm not stuck on the $700-900 monthly to be mayor when the city manager (who is a nice guy) doesn't live in the city, actually lives in Salt Lake County (no accountability or consequences for his decisions) and makes $110K per year. I knew this when I put my name out there, but I have a lot deeper perspective on the subject now.

My thoughts have run all over the place with me wondering how I might be able to improve the city for the citizens. I don't think that I can do what is necessary to make the changes because there are so many and they are so deeply necessary. Throughout this process I have prayed daily that I would know where my talents might be utilized for the betterment of my community.

Until the recent experiences, I have always felt deeply driven to run for mayor, and very much from a spiritual standpoint. At the same time, I have been driven that I should continue to behave Christ-like in my dealings with my fellowmen.

I am not willing to sacrifice my moral standards or my family's wellbeing. There is such little regard for the citizens and for those who are volunteering their time to make sure that the projects and programs in the city can continue to run smoothly following the lack of an adequate budget. If people are attempting harm when the campaign season has not even gotten underway, what will they be willing to do during a heavy campaign?!

In a word, dissapointed. I feel dissappointed with those who should have higher standards as an example to others. I see now that those who tell the truth and only want to make things better with no credit to be given to themselves will never fit in. While there are a couple of very respectful and respectable members of the city government, I am disappointed with the behaviors of the rest.

I appologize that I am pulling my name from the campaign. I know that some may feel let down in this process. However, in the end I must answer to myself, my family and my Savior. There will be another way that I can utilize my talents to make things better while keeping my moral standards and while being around others who will respect me and other people around them, as there is great value in every citizen.

For those who have contributed to my campaign, thank you so much for your support! I feel deeply blessed that you have supported my efforts to make a difference. I hope that I am not letting you down and that you understand why I am making this decision. The money you have contributed will be returned within a reasonable amount of time.

Where do I go from here? Currently, my husband and I have been working on a web design and development company (www.SpeedySpyder.com) and we are currently tweaking our own website. My husband is still unemployed, so please keep us in your prayers. For those who see my talents and know of somewhere that I can make a difference in a positive way, I am thrilled to hear your ideas.

Again, thank you so much for your support! The best thing that has come out of this experience is that I have met some of the absolutely best people. Thanks for those associations. I treasure them.

No comments: